A LETTER FROM THE OHIO STATE ATHLETIC COMPLIANCE OFFICE
Ohio State Alumni Association Club Presidents and Members,
The Ohio State University Athletics Department strives to be the best athletics department on and off the field—a goal that can only be realized with the outstanding support of all of the individuals who are part of Buckeye Nation! In order to ensure that the Best Fans in the Land are also the most informed fans in the land, the Ohio State Athletics Department periodically provides updates to supporters of the University such as the following:
Top 10 Things Fans & Friends of The Ohio State University Athletics Should Know About NCAA Rules:
1. The NCAA holds Ohio State accountable for the actions of its fans and friends.
2. You may not be involved in recruiting prospective student-athletes on behalf of Ohio State. A prospective student-athlete is defined a student who has started classes for the ninth grade or above.
3. You may send newspaper clippings and other information about talented prospects to Ohio State coaching staff members.
4. You may not become involved in arranging for a prospect, an Ohio State student-athlete or an Ohio State student-athlete’s friends or family to receive money or financial assistance of any kind.
5. You may not provide transportation to a prospect, student-athlete or their friends and family.
6. You may not spend funds to entertain prospects, student-athletes or their friends and family.
7. You may not use a photo or name of a student-athlete for commercial purposes or sell student-athlete memorabilia.
8. You may continue established relationships with friends and neighbors whose children are prospects or current student-athletes, provided the relationship pre-dates high school and is not based on their status an athlete.
9. Breaking NCAA rules can render prospects and student-athletes ineligible for competition at Ohio State University.
10. Always ask before you act!
Please feel free to contact the Athletic Compliance Office at (614) 292-2681 with any questions related to recruitment of prospective student-athletes, or any other questions you may have. Thanks again for your support of Ohio State Athletics—GO BUCKS!